St. Thomas Aquinas High School provides for the total development of the students in its care through a wide range of religious, academic, social, extra-curricular and interscholastic athletic programs. The interscholastic athletic program exists to provide St. Thomas Aquinas High School students with opportunities to participate in a wide range of individual and team sports, to promote the overall well being of student athletes and to enhance the spirit of community that has long been a St. Thomas tradition.
St. Thomas Aquinas High School’s commitment to Catholic values must be reflected in every aspect of the athletic program. Striving for success and accomplishment in athletics is consistent with our call to excellence in all areas of human endeavor. The behavior of athletes and coaches at athletic events must clearly and consistently communicate the Catholic values that are the central focus of our mission as a school. High expectations must be set, but cooperation, good sportsmanship, fair play, and self-discipline must be priorities.
he major objectives of the interscholastic athletic program are:
- To recognize the dignity of all human beings and to develop respect for the rights of others
- To demonstrate a respect for human life as reflected in high standards of physical fitness and the development of good habits
- To develop an appreciation for one’s gifts and talents and utilize them to the best of one’s ability
- To experience success as a result of hard work and cooperation with others
- To work cooperatively to reach group goals
- To recognize that each individual contributes to team success
- To promote self-discipline
- To develop respect for legitimate authority
- To develop fine and gross motor skills
- To appreciate the many facets of the St. Thomas Aquinas tradition